[GRASS-user] Orthorectification of Historic Aerial Photographs

Shaun & Melissa Busler buslers at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 00:35:20 EDT 2008

I have been trying to figure out for a while now how best to orthorectify
historic aerial photographs from around 1940.  These photos have fiducials
but no camera calibration files.  I read on several sites that there are
only a couple of open source solutions to achieve this, one of them being
GRASS.  Over the last few weeks I have been learning how to use GRASS.   I
have discovered that i.ortho.photo does not work for Windows so I am using
GIS-Knoppix.  I am beginning to understand how to set up a project in GRASS
(on top of learning Linux).

I have a few questions/comments:

1) When is i.ortho.photo going to be available for the Windows binaries?
2) The historic aerial photos do not have camera calibration files.  I have
searched all over and they do not seem to exist anymore.  Is there a way to
orthorectify the images without the camera calibration files?  Can I make
some assumptions?  If so, what parameters should I enter?
3) When I tried using photo.2image, I was not prompted with "Look ok?
(Y/N)"  so I was not able to mark the fiducials.

I would appreciate any help!  Thanks!

Shaun