[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii - put1 of 4 columns to 3D point file attribute

M S mseibel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:55:51 EDT 2008

Greetings GRASSers:

First I'd like to say what a great book the Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS
Approach (3rd edition) is.  It is full of great practical and conceptual
examples.  Well worth the money to anyone who has not purchased it yet!
Also a big thanks to the developers and users of GRASS who make it a
powerful and amazing GIS.

I have an ascii table of lidar data.  The columns are x,y,z, and a fourth
column containing an integer code of some sort.  I have looked at the
example in the man page about how to select columns for importing via some
shell manipulation of the input ascii file, but I do not think it is
applicable to what I'm doing (or perhaps the caffeine boost is not in effect
yet).  I have also tried various combinations of parameters in v.in.ascii.

I would like to import the XYZ to build the geometry for 3D points, and have
only "Cat" and "Code" in the attribute table.  ("Code" being a column name
for the 4th column in the input ASCII).  I cant seem to find the combination
of column definitions and other parameters to achieve this.  One option
seems to import them all as "x double, y double, z double, code int", and
then after the import, drop the x,y,z columns.  Is it possible to put the
first 3 ASCII column values to the geometry, and use only the last column as
an attribute?

I'm using GRASS 6.2.3 and sqlite database.

Thanks out to anyone with some feedback.

Mark