[GRASS-user] Hi everyone,

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Apr 10 19:18:06 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 15:43 -0700, Ferhat Kaya wrote:
> hi everyone,
>

> I am a first time Grass user. Grass looks like a detail software for
> me, because of I am  a physical anthropologist not a geologist or
> geographer. I have a vertebrate fossil site and I am trying to
> digitize (3D visualization) the site by Grass. I have tiff and jpg
> extension of the maps. Can I use these files as a base or layer to
> digitize the map, can I import it to the Grass. I am really an
> amateur  for Grass and GIS. I'll be a happy anthropologist :) if I can
> get some practical and basic advice from you guys.
>
> thanks a lot,
> Ferhat Kaya
> Human Evolution Research Center
> 3101 VLSB, UC Berkeley, CA, 94720

Hi Ferhat!

First read the First Time Users section in
http://grass.osgeo.org/intro/firsttime.php

If you just need to visualize something (a single map) you can start
with an XY non-geo-referenced LOCATION and import your images. You can
create easily an xy location when starting grass. Then you import your
images with r.in.gdal module.

However, if you intend to do some geo-analysis, you definitely need your
geospatial data to be anchored on some coordinate system.

Before doing anything:

.are your maps georeferenced?

.do you have any other referenced raster maps or vector data?

Cheers,

Nikos