[GRASS-user] areas

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 10:46:12 EDT 2008

Isabel:
> > hi, I was wondering if it is posible to measure areas and distances
> > inside GRASS, and save the values in a table.

Martin:
> if you mean areas of polygons and length of linear feature you can use
> v.to.db module. For distance measuring use d.measure or GUI tool.

see also the m.distance script using Python/SWIG:
(non-interactive backend module; takes a series of coords)
  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/swig/python/examples/

both d.measure (middle click) and m.distance will report area too.
see also d.where to get a list of coordinates to feed into a area
measurement tool or something like v.in.ascii or r.in.poly.

Hamish