[GRASS-user] Error when defining projection from a georeferenced file, help needed.

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Apr 27 04:43:10 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  > After starting a new project using the "start new location with a
>  > georeferenced file" option, I get an error when I click "Define
>  > Location". I am using the North Carolina sample data and using the
>  > gdc.prj for the georeferenced file.

Indeed, I also get that error.

>  Maybe it works, I'm not sure - it might just concentrate on the layer
>  name not the extension - but I thought it wanted the .shp file for that,
>  not the .prj file that comes with it? (from within GRASS,  you can feed
>  it that definition with 'g.proj wkt=gdc.prj')

There is a .shp file too, please use that file.

@developers: I think that we need a test in the location definition part of
the code if the user provided a .prj file or something else to make use
of the right g.proj parameters.
It is function proc epsgOpt::runproj in lib/init/epsg_option.tcl

>  > The error is as follows:
>  >
>  > /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator: to set an icon, please use -name
>  > <profile>
>  > and set a profile icon

This is an Ubuntu bug. In GRASS 6.3 this part was modified to
also work with Ubuntu. Please consider to update (hopefully
an Ubuntu package comes out soon).

Good luck with your project
Markus