[GRASS-user] XTF reader neede - triton format for sonar

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 18:13:43 EDT 2008

Thanks Thierry for answering.
AFAIK the XTF I've been given were tranformed form original KEB files.
If I'm not wrong these formats are produced by Knudsen systems.
I new about MBsystem. As they say on the site, I hope they will
support XTF "sooner or later...".
In the meanwhile I try to explain what I need: I need to vectorize the
sonar echograms in an automatized way (I have about 300 files with
dozens of "pings" each one), to extract the thickness of soft
loam/clay deposits of some lake beds. So, my echograms show the
vertical lines of the single "pings". For every ping I would like to
extract the "first arrive" (the point where a signal above a threshold
appear for the first time on the vertical) and the point when the
signal decreases lower then another threshold (before signal decayes
because of power loss). The problem is that I'm not such a good
programmer! :-)
I know sogtware for seismic datas that can do it, but it's the first
time I work with sonars data, and this formats in particular.
The alternative is to pick the 3000 points by hand, and measure the
thickness for each segment!

I'll let you know if I make useful steps.

Giovanni