[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 28, Issue 19

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Aug 7 11:16:47 EDT 2008

On Aug 6, 2008, at 11:10 PM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 08:09:38 +0200
> From: Manuel Seeger <seeger at uni-trier.de>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] grass70 start problems
> To: GRASSLIST <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hello,
>
> I've installed the latest cvs version on an ubuntu hardy heron.
> When I start grass at a certain mapset, it breaks because it finds ANY
> .gislock that is set at any mapset in that location. Then it mentions
> that concurrent use of mapsets is not allowed.
>
> Any hint?

GRASS7 is not for "use" currently. It is only for core development at
present. We are beginning a major rewrite of display drivers and
raster formats. As of yesterday, many modules will no longer work.
They will stay non-functional until drivers and libraries are
rewritten or will be deprecated and their functionality replaced in
other ways.

For use and "normal" development (module/GUI enhancement), use the
GRASS 6 series. GRASS 6.4 from develbranch_6 is the current
development version for GRASS 6 and is very usable. It has all current
updates that are compatible with the current GRASS structure.

Michael