[GRASS-user] v.dissolve bugfeature / workaround needed

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Aug 7 11:44:35 EDT 2008

On 07/08/08 17:20, Peter Löwe wrote:
> Hello Milton,
>
> thanks for that beautiful R-hack !
> Since I am working on a minimal "bread and butter" machine I went for Moritz' solution but it's a neat idea to use R for the task.
>
> Eventually, GIS-hacking should become part of the Olympics and you all should try to get medals :-)

Actually, I stand corrected. Daniel was right: v.reclass does allow
character columns and v.dissolve, therefore, does as well. I just tested
with a map as it works with current svn trunk and and old pre-release 6.3:

 > v.info -c NUTS2_2006
Displaying column types/names for database connection of layer 1:
INTEGER|cat
INTEGER|objectid
CHARACTER|cntr_code
INTEGER|stat_levl_
CHARACTER|nuts_id
DOUBLE PRECISION|shape_leng
DOUBLE PRECISION|shape_area

 > v.dissolve in=NUTS2_2006 col=cntr_code out=countries

And I get a nice countries map...

So your error message is a bug:

> results in dbmi: Protocol error ERROR: Cannot open select cursor:

Could you post the output of 'v.info -c counties' ?

Moritz