[GRASS-user] vector layer labelling doesn't work....

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Aug 8 12:24:14 EDT 2008

On Aug 8, 2008, at 8:33 AM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 17:13:28 +0200
> From: "Martin Landa" <landa.martin at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] vector layer labelling doesn't work....
> To: "G. Allegri" <giohappy at gmail.com>
> Cc: grassuser <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> 2008/8/8 G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com>:
>> Anyway I will change in my build :-)
>>
>> gui/tcltk/gis.m/vector.tcl - Line 143:
>> set opt($count,1,type_centroid) 0 -> set opt($count,
>> 1,type_centroid) 1
>
> in wxGUI it takes default d.vect type options, so
> "point,line,boundary,centroid,area,face". Not sure why TCL/TK differs
> here.

The wxPython GUI uses the default, autogenerated GUI as a properties
dialog. There are definite maintenance advantages to doing this, which
is why we've done it. But it means that it comes up with whatever are
the defaults for the module command.

The TclTk GUI has a custom coded properties window for each d.*
command, meaning it does not have to use the command line defaults. In
TclTk, I turned displaying the centroids off by default because they
are really annoying and ugly in areas unless you have specific need to
see them (just like direction is turned off in lines an boundaries).

If it is needed, I can add code to turn on centroids when area
labeling is turned on in TclTk. But a better solution IMHO is to fix
d.vect so that it is not *necessary* to have centroids showing in
order to display labels for areas.

Michael