[GRASS-user] grass6.4.svn revision32686: failed to compile r.terraflow and nviz2

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Aug 12 17:38:48 EDT 2008

Nikos Alexandris wrote:

> > > I always thought both are necessary (?) after a configuration and a
> > > "make".
> > >
> > > make clean --> cleans "make"d files
> > > make distclean --> cleans configuration files
> > >
> > > Is that correct?
> > >
> > > Nikos
> > >
> > > [...]
>
> Michael,
>
> you are right. It might be funny but I got used to do first "sudo make
> clean" and then "sudo make distclean" and, important, I never found a
> crystal-clear explanation about "cleaning". Maybe I did not search
> enough the web.

"make clean" removes all of the files which are generated by the
"make" step. "make distclean" first performs "make clean" then also
removes any files which are generated by the "configure step".

If configure or any of the *.in files have changed, it is necessary to
run "make distclean" before compiling. Otherwise, "make clean" is
sufficient. It's safest to just use "make distclean" whenever the code
is updated.