[GRASS-user] problems with ps.map outputs

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 13 10:44:14 EDT 2008

christian Brandt wrote:

> I was trying to produce a Hardcopy PostScript map output with ps.map
> which I would like to rework within an image processing application.
> Therefore I was producing both a ps and an eps file but both of them
> are not loadable into e.g. Adobe Photoshop.

PostScript isn't a raster image format, so I wouldn't expect Photoshop
to import it directly, although many image programs have a plug-in
(usually based upon Ghostscript), or you can use Ghostscript directly
to rasterise a PostScript file.

The usual tool for interactively editing PostScript files is
Illustrator. Also, I don't know if Acrobat can read PostScript
directly, but you can convert from PostScript to PDF with Distiller,
or with Ghostscript.

The advantage of operating upon PostScript or PDF, as opposed to a
raster format, is that rasterisation loses detail. This isn't an issue
if the end result will be a raster image file, but it can be
significant for hardcopy.