[GRASS-user] Making and Uploading Maps for Garmin Etrex Legend GPS - v.net.salesman

John C. Tull john.tull at wildnevada.org
Wed Aug 13 13:28:01 EDT 2008

You need to do it as a route, not a track, to avoid the ends
connecting. I did this last year, and I think it worked as one would
hope.

Here was my process:
1) Generate the vector line.
2) Reduce the number of nodes if your GPS is limited in available
storage with v.generalize (this can require many iterations and
tweaking of commands to get it right)
3) Export as a shapefile making sure that it is of type line, as this
is a segment
4) Convert to epsg:4326 if necessary (ogr2ogr -t_srs epsg:4326 ...)
5) Use ogr2ogr or gpsbabel to make a gpx file (you can also do the
simplify stuff with gpsbabel simplify rather than v.generalize, if you
prefer)
6) Transfer to unit with gpsbabel as a route: gpsbabel -r -i gpx -o
garmin -f gpxfile -F /dev/yourgpsdevice

I think you can skip 5 and go straight from shapefile to garmin unit,
but not sure.

Regards,
John