[GRASS-user] Making and Uploading Maps for Garmin Etrex Legend GPS - v.net.salesman

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 22:41:56 EDT 2008

> 5) Use ogr2ogr or gpsbabel to make a gpx file (you can also
> do the simplify stuff with gpsbabel simplify rather than
> v.generalize, if you prefer)

there is also a gpsbabel filter that will break track lines.

In the following I split a track into multiple segments when the jump
between points > 100m. (FWIW I got an identical split with a 50m threshold)

gpsbabel -i gpx -f transit-20080312-coastalotago.gpx \
  -x track,sdistance=0.1k \
  -o gpx -F transit-20080312-coastalotago_split.gpx

Beware that gpsbabel relies on GPX fixes having good timestamps, it uses the time as the key.
http://groups.google.com/group/nzopengis/browse_thread/thread/66d2cf3f0cbab08f/b08c58abad21d952?lnk=gst&q=gpsbabel#b08c58abad21d952

Hamish