[GRASS-user] problems with ps.map outputs

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Aug 14 09:45:38 EDT 2008

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> Wow! Inkscape does (almost) wonders. Last time I tried it there were
> more issues that benefits. Now (0.46-2, Debian testing) it imports a
> complex QGIS-generated PDF flawlessly treating text as text (cool!),
> raster as raster and vector as vector, let's me edit it just like a
> normal hybrid graphics file. I can export it back to PDF after edits -
> with a glitch that transparent rasters parts (those which were null in
> QGIS, thus transparent in it's PDF output) now are white in the new PDF,
> and some newly added transparent vector objects are rendered wrong in
> Evince, but OK in Adobe Reader. Anyway if I stick to SVG format for
> saving any changes after importing the original PDF to Inkscape - no
> problems whatsover.

That's interesting to know.

> (Pitty that PostScript import does not work too well though.)

Does running it through ps2ps help? Or maybe Inkscape already does the
equivalent of that.

Also, bear in mind that the cairo driver can generate SVG directly, by
using e.g. "export GRASS_PNGFILE=map.svg". However, setting
GRASS_PNG_READ=TRUE doesn't work for vector formats, so you have to
output each command to a separate file then compose them afterwards.