[GRASS-user] problems with ps.map outputs

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Thu Aug 14 11:10:04 EDT 2008

Glynn Clements pisze:
> Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>
>> Wow! Inkscape does (almost) wonders. Last time I tried it there were
>> more issues that benefits. Now (0.46-2, Debian testing) it imports a
>> complex QGIS-generated PDF flawlessly treating text as text (cool!),
>> raster as raster and vector as vector, let's me edit it just like a
>> normal hybrid graphics file. I can export it back to PDF after edits -
>> with a glitch that transparent rasters parts (those which were null in
>> QGIS, thus transparent in it's PDF output) now are white in the new PDF,
>> and some newly added transparent vector objects are rendered wrong in
>> Evince, but OK in Adobe Reader. Anyway if I stick to SVG format for
>> saving any changes after importing the original PDF to Inkscape - no
>> problems whatsover.

> That's interesting to know.

>> (Pitty that PostScript import does not work too well though.)

> Does running it through ps2ps help? Or maybe Inkscape already does the
> equivalent of that.

No good. Still as with the original ps file: opening it in Inkscape
the rasters are not imported and text is imported as vector objects,
with some corruption.

Being curious I tried ps2pdf too. It's output is corrupted though -
contains only the top-right part of the input ps, even though I specify
-sPAPERSIZEa4. Yet, as I wrote before, the original pdf generated by
QGIS imports into Inkscape without a single glitch.

> Also, bear in mind that the cairo driver can generate SVG directly, by
> using e.g. "export GRASS_PNGFILE=map.svg". However, setting
> GRASS_PNG_READ=TRUE doesn't work for vector formats, so you have to
> output each command to a separate file then compose them afterwards.

I didn't try Cariro output in GRASS. I'm talking about the QGIS print
composer output, as I wrote in my previous message.

Maciek

--
Maciej Sieczka
www.sieczka.org