[GRASS-user] problems with ps.map outputs

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Aug 14 09:33:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 02:04:50AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <hamish_b at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> > Glynn pisze:
> >
> > > The usual tool for interactively editing PostScript files is
> > > Illustrator.
>
> Maciek:
> > FTR, Corel Draw worked for me too when I used Windows.
> >
> > BTW - anybody knows of good Open Source alternatives for
> > editing (*real* editing, alike Illustrator or Corel Draw) PS or PDF
> > under GNU/Linux?
>
> How about Inkscape or Scribus?
>   http://www.inkscape.org/
>   http://www.scribus.net/

Both of these are cool programs, and if one could get ps.map's output into
them they'd be great choices for tweaking map presentation.  But neither is
actually able to import a PDF (or even PostScript) map for editing.

Scribus can import a PDF of text and allow you to edit it.  It can't do much
with the graphics, though.

Inkscape can do a great deal with the graphics if you can get the data
imported.  But it can't read PDFs or postscript directly.  Inkscape has some
script that tries to use ghostscript to convert the document to an Adobe
Illustrator document and then import that, but every time I've tried it it
fails.  As far as I could tell, it was because the ghostscript ps-to-ai deal
didn't work properly on ps.map's generated postscript.

Have you actually had success with either of these programs?  I would *LOVE*
not to have to use Illustrator (which I don't even have --- when I need this
capability I have to transfer PDF versions of my maps to my girlfriend's
computer, which *does* have Adobe CS).

 "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."  -- R. Bach