Post-processing ps.map output with inkscape Re: [GRASS-user] problems with ps.map outputs

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Aug 19 17:42:35 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 03:49:37PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <tutey at o2.pl> flavor, containing:
> Tom Russo pisze:
> > <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

[on alternatives to Adobe Illustrator for tweaking ps.map output]

> >> How about Inkscape or Scribus?
> >>   http://www.inkscape.org/
> >>   http://www.scribus.net/
>
> > Both of these are cool programs, and if one could get ps.map's output into
> > them they'd be great choices for tweaking map presentation.  But neither is
> > actually able to import a PDF (or even PostScript) map for editing.

[...]
> > Inkscape can do a great deal with the graphics if you can get the data
> > imported.  But it can't read PDFs or postscript directly.
[...]
> > Have you actually had success with either of these programs?
>
> Tom,
>
> I also had problem with Inkscape in past, but I just checked 0.46 stock
> Debian testing package and it rocks now. See my previous message in the
> thread.

Indeed!  This is greatly improved from last time I tried it.  Inkscape can't
read raw postscript, but can now import pdf better than it used to be
able to do last time I tried it.  I was able to do a ps2pdf of a map I'd
created previously from ps.map and import it into inkscape very nicely.
Interestingly, it was better to do ps2pdf on the raw output of ps.map than it
was to do a ps2ps first --- the "simplified" postscript from ps2ps turned all
of my text into individual glyphs for each letter instead of turning them into
text objects that could be edited in inkscape nicely.

There are some odd and annoying artifacts:
  1) All of my text imports oddly formatted, with inter-letter spacing all
     messed up.  All it took to fix this was to ungroup everything until I
     could select the individual text objects, then edit the text (adding a
     space and deleting it was sufficient) and click "Apply" --- this fixed
     all the spacing, but the net effect was that I'd told inkscape to make a
     null change to the actual text.  Nothing else I tried forced it to
     re-adjust the text spacing properly.

  2) None of the grid lines I'd created with ps.map's "grid" function showed
     up.  The were all hidden in there as paths with no fill.  I was able to
     fix them by opening the "XML Editor" and clicking every path in the list
     until I started seeing my invisible grid lines --- each path after that
     was another piece of my grid, and I could set the fill on each one to
     something useful.  But short of editing the XML I was unable to get
     the grid lines selected through the drawing panel until they were filled.

Even with these annoyances, this still gave me something I could edit nicely
--- my primary use for this kind of thing will be to fix up the hideous
labeling that ps.map is capable of, since inkscape can allow me to "put text
on path" for any arbitrarily shaped path better than v.label can do with it's
"curve text to lines" feature.

In all, this was a very nice surprise, since I tried inkscape only a few
months ago and had found it impossible to import ps.map output then.
Thanks for the nudge.

 "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."  -- R. Bach