Geophysics functions [was Re: [GRASS-user] use pi number]

Paulo Marcondes paulomarcondes at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 22:20:20 EDT 2008

2008/8/23 José María Michia <jose.maria.michia at gmail.com>:
> 2008/8/23 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>:
>
>> r.mapcalc doesn't have a definition for pi; you'll need to enter a
>> literal value.
>
> Thanks Glynn. This sounds like a weak point for me.
>
> I need to introduce "Pi" several times. Not for converting degrees to
> radians. It is another class of applications. In this case to
> calculate gravity anomalies.

José,

I have been interested in implementing potential fields function in
GRASS since long,
but I don't have the necessary background (I mean, I don't know the
equations) or the coding skills.
However, I can help you test/debug.

Maybe that could be the starting point for me to learn something about
it. Pointers to interesting sites/books/papers would be nice. =D
At my current job I have access to plenty of datasets and experts, so
we could use (borrow) further help =]

Glynn, ALL,
I would like to know where all these geophysics modules would fit.
I guess not in the i.* series, maybe in r.grav.* for gravity
data/functions or r.mag.* for magnetometry data.
--
Paulo Marcondes = PU1/PU2PIX
-22.915 -42.224 = GG86jc