[GRASS-user] supervised image classification using textural aspects

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Aug 25 08:39:09 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 16:02 -0300, Milton Cezar Ribeiro wrote:
> Dear Wout,
>
> Following Jonathan´s comments about window size selecion, give a look
> at:
>
> RIBEIRO, M. C. ; ALVES, D. S. ; YANASSE, C. C. F. ; SOARES, J. V. ;
> II, F. M. . Window size selection for SAR classification using texture
> measures: a case study of a Brazilian Amazon test site. In: Segunda
> jornada latino-americana de sensoriamento remoto por radar: técnicas
> de processamento de imagens, 1998, Santos, SP. Segunda jornada
> latino-americana de sensoriamento remoto por radar: técnicas de
> processamento de imagens, 1998
>
> http://marte.dpi.inpe.br/col/sid.inpe.br/deise/1999/02.11.16.14/doc/10_213o.pdf
>
> Best wishes,
>
> miltinho
>

> 2008/8/22, Jonathan Greenberg <greenberg at ucdavis.edu>:
>         Wout:
>
>           This is more of a general response, rather than a "how to"
>         for GRASS.  At 1m, you are absolutely going to need to include
>         some level of spatial processing (texture being the "brute
>         force" way of getting at these sorts of things).  At that
>         resolution, trees become multi-pixel objects, and there will
>         be more spectral variation within a tree crown than between
>         any two trees.  Which textures to try are an issue you will
>         need to resolve by experimentation -- variance is often an
>         important factor, average less so.  The window size choice is
>         extremely important, because each window size is picking up
>         different pieces of information.  For instance, for large
>         trees at 1m, a 3x3 window is going to be picking up
>         within-crown variation, so you will get high values near the
>         sunlit-to-shadow transition, and near the crown edges, but low
>         variation within the shadow or within the sunlit portions of
>         the tree.  Your window should be larger than a tree crown if
>         you expect to get fairly similar values within the tree crown
>         (which is critical if you want to approach this in a pixel
>         based approach).  I don't recommend pixel-based approaches for
>         macro-pixel objects, however.
>
>           When working with "hyperspatial" remote sensing data, keep
>         in mind you are classifying "trees" as unique landscape
>         objects (polygons, really), not the less well defined "forest"
>         -- as such, you should try to employ object-based approaches.
>          You can google scholar "tree crown remote sensing" to get
>         some ideas on how people approach this problem.  Keep an eye
>         out for papers by Lefsky, Pouliot, Popescu, Wulder, and
>         Leckie, amongst others.  If you want to understand how to
>         scale from tree crown objects to a "forest" I'll tout one of
>         my papers:
>
>         http://casil.ucdavis.edu/docman/view.php/52/141/greenbergetal2006b.pdf
>
>           It would be cool to implement some of these algorithms in
>         GRASS, but to my knowledge there is no package (you'd have to
>         write one) -- in fact, very few remote sensing packages have
>         even the beginnings of these capabilities, although some of
> [...]
[...]

All this is a "burning" issue for me as well. I was looking for
r.texture as well but never found something detailed. I did some tests
on my own without success. Now I read Markus' notes [1] and I'll try to
play around sooner or later (thank you Markus).

If i.smap could auto-segment multi-layer raster maps with some kind of
input parameters (not training samples) and r.texture really does
"statistical magic", then GRASS would challenge proprietary image
segmentation/classification tools. I think that a lot of people would
like that.

[1] http://mpa.itc.it/markus/ortho_smap/orthophoto_smap_043050.txt

Greetings, Nikos