[GRASS-user] v.voronoi/v.delaunay

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 11:48:01 EDT 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Martin Landa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2008/8/29 Roberto Antolí­n <rantolin.geo at gmail.com>:
>> After the Summer of Code, could somebody tell me which is the point of
>> v.voronoi? I think it was one of the projects, wasn't it?. I've tried to run
>> the develbranch_6 version of v.delaunay with 400K points and I have had to
>> kill the process after it was no memory left.
>
> Google SoC's v.voronoi is not currently in trunk or develbranch_6, see
> grass-addons. It will be added to trunk after code revision - I guess.
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/vector/voronoi/demo
>
> I am not sure in which stage the development is...

I think I will delete the demo code from grass-addons shortly as the new
v.delaunay2 is now in grass-addons at
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/vector/v.delaunay2 and
ready for testing. Martin Pavlovsky, the SoC student working on this (Cc
to him if he has more comments to add...) decided to implement v.voronoi2
using a separate algorithm to v.delaunay2 (Fortune Sweepline rather than
quad-edge Guibas-Stolfi). This will give improved performance but is kind
of an extension to SoC; he is currently working on it and it will be ready
in a few weeks. (The original SoC plan was to use almost the same
algorithm for the two modules.) But yes, v.delaunay2 is now (since
yesterday) in grass-addons and ready for testing.

Paul