[GRASS-user] G_malloc: out of memory

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Dec 1 15:01:24 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 1:42 PM, Adam Dershowitz wrote:

>> The GUI can use any TclTk, but NVIZ and v.digit require the TclTk
>> 8.5 Aqua framework (ActiveTcl or compiled from source).
>>
>> OSX 10.5 only has TclTk 8.4 Aqua.  There are problems with this
>> version.
>>
>> I'm not sure about Macports, but I think that's an X11 TclTk.
>>

>   But I still get the same error that I did before.
> I think that it is correctly building Tk for aqua, but it not
> generating a framework, and NVIZ seems to want it located in that
> specific location as a framework.  Does NVIZ do something a little
> unusual about finding the path?  Or does Tk do something unusual.  I
> have looked at the portfile (build instructions essentially) for Tk
> and it looks like it is just putting that extra flag in place and
> not doing much else.  So I think that it is pretty much identical to
> building with default settings from source.

NVIZ (and v.digit) are binary Tk programs, and thus use standard
library linking to the Tcl and Tk libraries (frameworks).

The configure flag for creating both Tcl and Tk frameworks is --enable-
framework.  In Tk, this implies --enable-aqua.  --enable-aqua by
itself presumably only does that, as you found.  This fits with the
Macports style - it doesn't do frameworks, everything is *nix
libraries (OK, that's just a guess).

I would be possible to use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to force it to find a
different binary, but the framework binary is too differently named
for this to work.  You really need to install TclTk frameworks outside
the Macports system, either ActiveTcl binaries or compiled from source
without Macports.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a
bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy