[GRASS-user] Going back to 6.3

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Dec 1 15:12:27 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Adam Dershowitz wrote:

>>> Odd, GRASS 6.3 and 6.4 have different names:
>>>
>>> GRASS-6.3.app
>>> GRASS-6.4.app
>>>
>> I can confirm that the 6.4 install doesn't actually delete
>> GRASS-6.3.app, it just "empties" it out.  So that it is now 6.5
>> meg, while it used to be much larger (6.4 is 74 meg).  And when I
>> double click on 6.3 I get a error in my log:
>> posix_spawnp("/Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/
>> GRASS", ...): No such file or directory
>>
>> So it looks like the 6.4 installer deletes most, but not all, of
>> the stuff that was in
>> 6.3._______________________________________________
>
> I just tested it and just re-installing 6.3, while 6.4 is there,
> seems to allow both to coexist fine.

Ah, this must be OSX installer magic.  I've run into it with
frameworks, but this is the first application "upgrade" that I've had
to deal with.

When the installer "upgrades" an installation, it removes the older
version as best it can.  It uses the application ID to say whether an
application is the same, in this case "org.osgeo.grass6".

I have configured the installers to allow "downgrading", so that is
probably why installing 6.3 over 6.4 leaves 6.4 alone.  (I wasn't
quite sure what this really meant.)

I can look into options to disable the upgrade magic, or I may have to
do what I do for framework upgrades, and temporarily move the old
version before installing the new version (bleh).  Or change the ID on
each version.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

The equator is so long, it could encircle the earth completely once.