[GRASS-user] libgrass_gis.6.3.0.dll

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Dec 2 05:58:00 EST 2008

Chris Heys wrote:

> I recently downloaded the Windows version of 6.3.0, to run under XP,
> and it looks like it will be useful to me. But I keep seeing an error
> which says that file
>
> libgrass_gis.6.3.0.dll
>
> cannot be found. This happens if I navigate to
>
> C:\GRASS\bin
>
> and type, for example,
>
> g.version
>
> The dll exists all right. It is in
>
> C:\GRASS\lib
>
> so I'm struggling. Is there a crucial environment variable that I
> need to reset?

There are several environment variables which need to be set in order
for GRASS modules to work. This is done by the grass63.bat script.

GISBASE needs to be set to the root of the GRASS installation, i.e.
C:\GRASS in this case.

PATH needs to include $GISBASE\bin and $GISBASE\scripts, and on
Windows, $GISBASE\lib (other OSes have a separate variable for
libraries).

GISRC needs to be set to the path to a file which contains several
configuration settings (by default, the file is $HOME\.grassrc6).

GIS_LOCK needs to be set in order for g.mapset to work (the actual
value doesn't matter).

GRASS_SH needs to be set to the path of a Bourne shell in order for
scripts to work.

Various modules may need other environment variables, e.g. GRASS_PAGER
may need to be set to the name of a pager such as "more" or "less".

A (mostly) complete list can be found in the docs/html/variables.html
file within the GRASS installation.