[GRASS-user] grass topography and postgis

Brent Wood b.wood at niwa.co.nz
Tue Dec 2 21:54:34 EST 2008

I think there is some confusion here:

The main Postgis functionality is in line with the OGC SFS model, which is inherently NOT topological.

This means that under Postgis as it currently stands, GRASS topological geometries cannot be stored. It does not mean that using Postgis, topological structures cannot be stored, if suitable structures are built to support them, either with the PostGIS umbrella or as a third party toolset..

It is possible to store topological geometries in a relational database, ESRI geodatabases & Oracle are a couple of examples where this can be done. See

http://postgis.refractions.net/support/wiki/index.php?PostgisTopology

for some work with PostGIS in this direction.

If GRASS users are interested in having native PostGIS support for GRASS topological vectors, then it might be worth keeping in touch with this project, ans see if it can be kept in line with the GRASS topological data model to facilitate a future.GRASS data management role.

Cheers,

    Brent Wood

Brent Wood
DBA/GIS consultant
NIWA, Wellington
New Zealand
>>> "G. Allegri" <giohappy at gmail.com> 12/02/08 11:27 PM >>>
Topological datas are "intrinsically " topological: it's not about
rules (that you can control with geometrical operators) but the
geometrical structures. In topological geodatas, for example, two
adjacent polygons share a common, single, boundary, while in Simple
Feature model two polygons have their own boundaries.
You could have a look at:
http://grass.itc.it/grass63/manuals/html63_user/vectorintro.html

This means that GRASS needs to use its own data model, because its
algorithms code are based on it, and it wouldn't work on Simple
Features (Postgis data model, Shapefiles, etc.).

Hope this helps,
Giovanni