Re: [GRASS-user] Elevation profile from intersecting shapefiles‏

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Dec 4 04:04:15 EST 2008

On 04/12/08 09:47, Hamish wrote:
> georgew wrote:
>> Hamish, please forgive my ignorance but I am not sure what you mean.
>> As far as I know g.region is the means to change the resolution,
>
> correct,
>
>> whether through the command line or the GUI. Can you please explain how
>> to access and change the computational region settings.
>
> I was talking about when using it from the GUI.
>
> from the command line the display (d.mon) resolution is the computation
> region.
>

> in the GUI there are two: the active display region(+resolution) and the
> computational one. What you see in the display window(s) is independent
> of what's in the $MAPSET/WIND file. That WIND(ow) file holds the region
> which will be used by any modules running.  The reason for all this
> confusion is that you can have multiple GUI display windows open at the
> same time, each independently zoomed to a different area and set at a
> different resolution (for a visual display there's no point at being at a
> higher resolution than you can see). Multiple displays would need multiple
> WIND files but the processing module (eg v.to.rast) wouldn't know which
> was the appropriate one to use.  Thus computational region refers to what
> is stored in the mapset's WIND file.
>
> (sorry gui programmers if I have made small mistakes in that)
>

> In gis.m, from the Map Display window if you click on the magnifying glass
> icon (with the map) you get a pulldown menu. the last item is "set computational region extents to match display".

And, the reverse: Zoom display to computational region. Maybe your
v.to.rast worked as it should, but you just don't see the correct region
in the Map Display ?

BTW:
> I set the Location in GRASS's opening welcome screen, using the Contour.shp file to provide the boundaries.
and
> g.region -p projection: 0 (x,y)

You are aware that this means that the Contour.shp did not contain any
projection info and that GRASS thus consideres it as unprojected ?

Moritz