[GRASS-user] r.neighbors, wide filtering

John Stevenson john.stevenson at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 13:37:56 EST 2008

Hi,

For my research, I am testing a mesh denoising algorithm on topographic
data.  It smooths the surfaces much like using r.neighbors
method=average or r.neighbors method=median, and, depending on
settings,  gives similar results to r.neighbors when size <5.  The
advantage of the algorithm is that it has some ability to preserve
features.  In cases where more significant smoothing is necessary
(r.neighbors size > 5) it is much better at preserving minimum and
maximum elevations etc as it converges on a stable solution for the
smoothed landscape.

My question relates to understanding in which cases is it necessarily to
smooth to such an extent?  From what I have seen e.g. taking speckle out
of SRTM DEMs, smoothing by such extremes removes a lot of useful
information and results in unrealistic surfaces.

Has anyone come across a situation/dataset or type of analysis where
they need to smooth with r.neighbors (method=average/median, size > 5)?
I would be interested to know, and to see if this algorithm would be useful.

Cheers

John

--

Dr John Stevenson