[GRASS-user] Legend with multiple columns - scale

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 04:58:38 EST 2008

Casey Vandenberg wrote:
> > I am new to the world of Grass and have run into a bit of a
> > snag.  I am currently trying to create a legend with
> > multiple columns (3).  I can place the legend on my map
> > without difficulties, however the problem arises when I try
> > and move it.  Based on the map in question, I want the
> > legend displayed on the left hand side of my map.  As I
> > alter the legend's x location (where /x/ /y/) to bring
> > the legend closer to the left edge of the map, the spacing
> > between the columns increases substantially (i.e. the legend
> > seems to be maintaining a link to the right edge of the map
> > and is just increasing the spacing between the columns so
> > that the left edge of the legend matches the /where x
> > /position).  The problem with this is that it is not
> > graphically appealing whatsoever.
> >
> > Is there anyway that I can specify the width of the column
> > itself so that the spacing is reduced?  Or is there any way
> > that I can remove that "link" with the right hand
> > edge of the map so the legend moves freely along the x axis
> > without being stretched out?

I made some fixes to the left side of the vector legend, but the
right side is still tied to the right side of the map box. Currently
there is no way to set the column spacing beyond setting the left
position and adjusting the map box width with maploc. (or manually
hacking the code to make it think there's an extra column when
calculating dx)  We could set a max "dx" in ps_vlegend.c, but I'm
not sure what that should be or if it would hurt folks who want to
use a long legend label.

Perhaps you could load the postscript file into a newer version of
Inkscape and apply the finishing touches there?

Hamish