Re: [GRASS-user] Elevation profile from intersecting shapefiles‏

georgew gws293 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 18:32:05 EST 2008

Much progress!

Moritz Lennert-2 wrote:

> You are aware that this means that the Contour.shp did not contain any
> projection info and that GRASS thus consideres it as unprojected ?

Setting the resolution BEFORE converting to raster was the answer, thank
you.  I now see the contours in the raster map as well as in the original
vector file. As for the null projection, thanks for pointing it out (I was
not aware!) but since the purpose of the exercise was to create an elevation
profile from tabular data perhaps it is not critical.
So I went ahead with the original purpose, i.e. to create an elevation
profile for the track.

Micha Silver wrote:

> r.surf.contour to create an elevation surface from the rasterized contours

> r.profile to get the elevations along the tracks.

So I entered:

r.surf.contour input=contours_rast at PERMANENT output=elevmap_raster
--overwrite

 and few seconds later it completed its job without errors. Then went ahead
with:

r.profile -i input=elevmap_rast at PERMANENT output=- null=*

I followed the track with the left mouse button and a two column list of
values was printed on stdout, the distance and the elevation. Success!

My only remaining question is:
Is there a way to use the track raster file to input the values instead of
using the mouse, so that the process can be more or less automated?

Thank you all for your great help. I'll write a summary and post it in the
Wiki as an FAQ or short tutorial as suggested by Markus Neteler.

grass-user mailing list
grass-user at lists.osgeo.org