[GRASS-user] r.to.vect and then v.clean using tool=rmarea creates polygons instead of holes.

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Dec 11 18:13:43 EST 2008

Moskovitz, Bob wrote:
> Hello Grass-Users,
>
> I'm having problems with this sequence of commands:
>     r.to.vect -s input=lszone output=lszone10 feature=area
>     v.clean input=lszone10 output=lszone10_clean tool=rmarea thresh=2800
>
> Below is the output.
>
> Overlaying lszone and lszone10_clean, I see that there are large holes
> that have been replaced with polygons.  Is this a bug?
>
> Btw, I've tried this with QGIS on Windows XP as well as GRASS 6.4.svn
> with the same results.
>
> Bob

Hmm, I'm wondering if there's a flaw in the topology built by r.to.vect

What happens if you run v.build before v.clean?

At second glance I see how if a small polygon gets removed and it shared
a border with the big polygon, that that border might not exist now.
maybe add the bpol to tool=rmarea,bpol

Alex