[GRASS-user] r.to.vect and then v.clean using tool=rmarea creates polygons instead of holes.

Moskovitz, Bob Bob.Moskovitz at conservation.ca.gov
Thu Dec 11 14:24:13 EST 2008

Hello Grass-Users,

I'm having problems with this sequence of commands:
    r.to.vect -s input=lszone output=lszone10 feature=area
    v.clean input=lszone10 output=lszone10_clean tool=rmarea thresh=2800

Below is the output.

Overlaying lszone and lszone10_clean, I see that there are large holes that have been replaced with polygons.  Is this a bug?

Btw, I've tried this with QGIS on Windows XP as well as GRASS 6.4.svn with the same results.

Bob

r.to.vect -s in=lszone out=lszone10 feature=area
Extracting areas...
 100%
 100%
Building topology for vector map <lszone10>...
Registering primitives...
50074 primitives registered
629002 vertices registered
Building areas...
 100%
27613 areas built
17107 isles built
Attaching islands...
 100%
Attaching centroids...
 100%
Number of nodes: 39568
Number of primitives: 50074
Number of points: 0
Number of lines: 0
Number of boundaries: 33886
Number of centroids: 16188
Number of areas: 27613
Number of isles: 17107
Number of areas without centroid: 11425
r.to.vect complete.
v.clean in=lszone10 out=lszone10_clean tool=rmarea thresh=2800
Tool: Threshold
Remove small areas: 2.800000e+03
Copying vector lines...
Rebuilding parts of topology...
Building topology for vector map <lszone10_clean>...
Registering primitives...
50074 primitives registered
629002 vertices registered
Building areas...
 100%
27613 areas built
17107 isles built
Attaching islands...
 100%
Attaching centroids...
 100%
Number of nodes: 39568
Number of primitives: 50074
Number of points: 0
Number of lines: 0
Number of boundaries: 33886
Number of centroids: 16188
Number of areas: 27613
Number of isles: 17107
Number of areas without centroid: 11425
Tool: Remove small areas
26251 areas of total size 9.34119e+06 removed
Rebuilding topology for output vector map...
Building topology for vector map <lszone10_clean>...
Registering primitives...
4913 primitives registered
222687 vertices registered
Building areas...
 100%
1362 areas built
1127 isles built
Attaching islands...
 100%
Attaching centroids...
 100%
Number of nodes: 4678
Number of primitives: 4913
Number of points: 0
Number of lines: 0
Number of boundaries: 4185
Number of centroids: 728
Number of areas: 1362
Number of isles: 1127
Number of duplicate centroids: 3
Number of areas without centroid: 637

Bob Moskovitz
Research Analyst I
Seismic Hazard Zonation Project
California Geological Survey
http://www.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/shzp<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message contains information from the State of California, California Geological Survey, which may be privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.