[GRASS-user] GCC vs. locale

Ivan Shmakov ivan at theory.asu.ru
Fri Feb 1 11:56:50 EST 2008

[...]

 >>> driver.h:70: error: \u2018BOUND_BOX\u2019 does not name a type
 >>> make: *** [OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/grass6_wxvdigit_wrap.o] Error 1

 >> "\u2018" -- unicode characters sneaking into what should be a flat
 >> ASCII file?

 > Those are just the quotes added by the compiler. Recent versions of
 > gcc have taken to using gratuitous non-ASCII punctuation in
 > diagnostic messages.

	Is it due to a locale setting?  It seems reasonable for GCC to
	put UTF-8 quotes when asked for such a locale.

	FWIW, I always suppress any localization by prepending
	`LC_ALL=C' to the `make' invocation, like:

$ LC_ALL=C nohup time make &

	(Otherwise one might get something like:

$ gcc none.c
gcc: none.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
gcc: no input files
$

	in the log; hardly a good thing to be included into a bug
	report.)