[GRASS-user] Re: GCC vs. locale

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Feb 2 15:31:17 EST 2008

Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>  > ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, so there's no problem with using the
>  > ASCII quote characters in that situation.
>
> 	That's the problem -- ASCII lacks single quote characters.

It also lacks a decimal point character. But just as a full stop
(period) suffices as a decimal point, the apostrophe suffices as a
single quote character (e.g. C/C++, Bourne shell, etc).

It's not as if you actually *need* to use balanced quotes.

> PS.  Is `utf8' a valid MIME charset name?

iconv understands it as an alias for utf-8. I don't know whether MIME
specifies an exhaustive list of encodings.

FWIW, the fact that VM chose UTF-8 was news to me; historically, it
has used ISO-2022 for multi-lingual text.