[GRASS-user] WARNING: Random read is not supported by OGR

David Epstein davideps at umich.edu
Sat Feb 2 16:27:58 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I am trying to setup a read-only link to a postGIS database in GRASS.
I'm doing this because I often change the data using pgAdmin3 and other
tools and do not want to keep importing into GRASS (does this make
sense?)

I get the following error:

GRASS 6.2.2 (Israel-Palestine):~ > v.external dsn="PG:host=localhost
user=davideps dbname=hebrew_spatial" layer=gushtable output=pg_gush
Building topology ...
WARNING: Random read is not supported by OGR for this layer, cannot
build support.

This was reported by another user in August 2007 and the comment (pasted
below) was that it is an OGR driver error. However, the user reported
that the patch did not work. Has this problem been addressed? (Or
perhaps I caused the error somehow?)

thank you,
-david