[GRASS-user] WARNING: Random read is not supported by OGR

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Feb 3 08:03:51 EST 2008

David,

a subsequent mail contains a workaround:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2007-August/040869.html

I am not sure how to deal with it. Indeed, it would be better to track it in
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/

Markus

On Feb 2, 2008 10:27 PM, David Epstein <davideps at umich.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to setup a read-only link to a postGIS database in GRASS.
> I'm doing this because I often change the data using pgAdmin3 and other
> tools and do not want to keep importing into GRASS (does this make
> sense?)
>
> I get the following error:
>
> GRASS 6.2.2 (Israel-Palestine):~ > v.external dsn="PG:host=localhost
> user=davideps dbname=hebrew_spatial" layer=gushtable output=pg_gush
> Building topology ...
> WARNING: Random read is not supported by OGR for this layer, cannot
> build support.
>
> This was reported by another user in August 2007 and the comment (pasted
> below) was that it is an OGR driver error. However, the user reported
> that the patch did not work. Has this problem been addressed? (Or
> perhaps I caused the error somehow?)
>
> thank you,
> -david
>
> > On review of the OGR PostGIS driver I think this is a bug in the
> > driver's
> > "TestCapabilities" method. Are you in a position to rebuild your GDAL
> > with
> > a patch? I'd appreciate your filing a bug against GDAL/OGR for this
> > issue,
> > and we can pursue the discussion there.
> >
> > http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > ------
> > I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
> > and watch the world go round - Rush | President OSGeo,
> > http://osgeo.org

Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://www.osgeo.org/
http://www.grassbook.org/