[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 22, Issue 5

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Feb 4 12:20:57 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 10:01 AM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 06:24:17 -0800 (PST)
> From: Reno Bladergroen <Rbladergroen at tele2allin.be>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] GRASS starts but nothing visible
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>

> Hi,
>
> I am a first time user of grass. I installed grass on a PowerbookG4
> Mac OS
> 10.5 system, which went successful. I also downloaded the tutorial
> environment files, made a database folder etc. Now when I start
> grass I can
> chose which environment and mapset to use. When I click one (spearfish
> example) several windows are opened but I don't see anything... just
> blank
> windows with buttons.

I'm not exactly sure what you are doing, but here is the sequence for
viewing a map in GRASS

1. Start GRASS
2. Select GIS data folder (optional if already selected)
3. Select project location (determined by projection) in the left-hand
window (you can create a new one, but don't need to for Spearfish).
Just pick the Spearfish60 location in this case.
4. Select mapset (where your maps actually live) in the right-hand
window (you can make a new empty one)
5. Press the "Enter GRASS" button
6. In the GIS Manager, add a raster (or vector or other) layer by
clicking a button on the toolbar. (Note that there is mouseover help
for all buttons)
7. In the raster layer properties panel (in GIS Manager), select a
raster map to display in that layer (use the browse button to the left
of the entry field).
8. In the Map Display, press the display button (left end of the
toolbar).

If you still don't see anything, you may need to set your
"region" (i.e., the 'window on the world' that determines what you
actually see and work with) to match your map. Use the region setting
menu button on the Map Display toolbar (icon is a map with a tiny
magnifying glass) and select zoom to selected map.

Please look at the GRASS manual, the startup help (button on startup
screen), the GIS Manager help (under help menu), and help for each
layer type (button on properties panel).

Michael