[GRASS-user] Permission denied (again!)

Frank Broniewski liste at geo-dienstleistung.de
Wed Feb 6 02:13:11 EST 2008

I just want to confirm this 'behavior' with GRASS installed from Repositories
on a Ubuntu 7.10 machine. We had the same error recently.

GRASS had been installed and started with the -gui parameter. Creating a
location within the homefolder fails for the same reasons already given
below.

However we were able to create a new location with the text based version of
GRASS, but some of the gis.m modules (like the map window) cannot be used. As
far as I remember, it gives some errors about region extend not being able to
read. I would have to ask my colleague for details.

Nearly two years back, I had the same problem and I found some kind of
solution. I posted this on the list in year 2006. You can find the according
threads here:
http://www.nabble.com/-GRASS-user--Can't-create-location-td5691835.html

It had something to do with write permissions on the tmp directory where GRASS
creates the location.

Hope this helps

Frank