[GRASS-user] Permission denied (again!)

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 6 07:51:02 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 08:13 +0100, Frank Broniewski wrote:
> I just want to confirm this 'behavior' with GRASS installed from Repositories
> on a Ubuntu 7.10 machine. We had the same error recently.
>
> GRASS had been installed and started with the -gui parameter. Creating a
> location within the homefolder fails for the same reasons already given
> below.
>
> However we were able to create a new location with the text based version of
> GRASS, but some of the gis.m modules (like the map window) cannot be used. As
> far as I remember, it gives some errors about region extend not being able to
> read. I would have to ask my colleague for details.
>
> Nearly two years back, I had the same problem and I found some kind of
> solution. I posted this on the list in year 2006. You can find the according
> threads here:
> http://www.nabble.com/-GRASS-user--Can't-create-location-td5691835.html
>
> It had something to do with write permissions on the tmp directory where GRASS
> creates the location.

YES... that's it!

Sorry for not reading this before.. I just replied to Hamish.

Ohhhhhhh... it's annoying :-|

Things like that happen ONLY when they should not... ! It's the deamon
that brakes things for which you are absolutely sure that work ;-) Or...
it's just our selective memory, emphasizing more on negative experiences
so we forget the positive one's.

> Hope this helps

I am checking it right away.