[GRASS-user] Permission denied (again!)

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 6 07:46:29 EST 2008

I run Ubuntu gutsy.

I just play around with data on my own machine... copied from one folder
to another.

> if data was copied from a CD make sure that the GRASS database,
> locations, etc. have been given back write permissions, recursively.
> (the filesystem cares)

I dit that.

> also check that the current user owns the mapset you are trying to
> load. (by default GRASS lets you read from anyone mapset but only you
> can write to your own)

But,

what if I want to start from the scratch? I am trying to create a new
empty directory and grant rwx access. And then create with the GUI a new
LOCATION. It only works when I use the text mode.

> for the file system test try going to where you are trying to make the
> new location and create a new directory, files, etc.

No problems to create folders as "nik"

>  That is all GRASS
> is trying to do and if you can do that as a normal user, and the same
> user as starts grass6, GRASS should be able to it as well.

I think there something wrong with... ? Why grass (grass62) is
problematic but grass63 (the compiled from source bin) does its job
without hanging anywhere(?)

> Also follow up that x-terminal-emulator error. Is this Ubuntu or
> Debian?
> What version(s) of OS & GRASS?

> ls -l /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2008-02-06 04:42 /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
-> /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator

> ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2008-02-06
04:42 /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
-> /usr/bin/gnome-terminal.wrapper

> Hamish

Thanks for the detailed mail.

Nikos Alexandris
.
Department of Remote Sensing & Landscape Information Systems
Faculty of Forestry & Environmental Sciences, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
.
Tel.  +49 (0) 761 203 3697 / Fax.  +49 (0) 761 203 3701 / Skype: Nikos.Alexandris
.
Address: Tennenbacher str. 4, D-79106 Freiburg i. Br., Germany