[GRASS-user] NVIZ won't display all points in a points map?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Feb 12 00:06:18 EST 2008

I just bought the third edition of Markus and Helena's GRASS book (nice
update!), and am working through some of the new examples using the North
Carolina data set.  I'm finding, though, that when I try to display some of
the data in NVIZ as described in the "First Steps" section of chapter 3, that
almost none of the point data selected actually shows up in NVIZ.

See http://www.swcp.com/~russo/imgs/busted_nviz.png for a snapshot of my
screen.  The gis.m display manager shows the "elevation" raster with the
majorroads and streams data overlaid, and the overpasses point data displayed
with the icon "extra/bridge."  There are quite a few of them.

Setting the region to rast=elevation with g.region, and running
  nviz elev=elevation vect=roadsmajor,streams point=overpasses
I get exactly ONE of the overpasses displaying.

This should be visible in the screenshot I posted the link to.

Interestingly enough, if I use the Vector Query option in NVIZ and click around
where the various bridges/overpasses should be, it shows me the records for
them, but does NOT display the red spheres where they should be.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a glitch in NVIZ?

The datasets are from the North Carolina nc_spm sample location from
http://www.grassbook.org/