[GRASS-user] Multicore Processing and Temporary File Cleanup

joechip90 joechip90 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 13 08:43:48 EST 2008

Dear All,

I have looked around on other postings and it appears that the majority (if
not all) of the GRASS libraries are NOT thread safe.  Unfortunately I have a
very large processing job that would benefit from cluster processing.  I
have written a script that can be run on multiple processors whilst being
very careful not to allow different processes to try to modify the same data
at any point.  The same raster file is not accessed by different processes
at all in fact.

However, I also realise that alone might not solve all my problems.  In any
one process some temporary files are created (by GRASS libraries) and then
these are deleted on statup (cleaning temporary files...).  Now I was
wondering what these temporary files were and if there might be a problem
with one process creating temporary files that it needs whilst another
process starts up GRASS and deletes them.  Is there any way to call GRASS in
a way that doesn't delete the temporary files?

I appreciate that I'm trying to do something that GRASS doesn't really
support but I was hoping that it might be possible to fiddle around and find
a way.  Any help would be gratefully received.

I have included the script that I'm trying to run below (the script will be
run many times accross multiple processors).  Any advice welcome:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p15441565/example example