[GRASS-user] Agent-based modelling and GRASS

Roy Sanderson r.a.sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk
Thu Feb 14 04:38:54 EST 2008

Hello

Does anyone know the current state of play with agent-based modelling
and GRASS?  About four years ago there seemed to be considerable
activity on this front, with for example, Jim Westervelt's work on
integrating Swarm models into GRASS for cowbird predictions (described
in R. Gimblett's text on GIS and ABM).  A couple of years ago I
developed a simple discrete-event model of bumblebee foraging, using C++
and GRASS shell scripts, although I will admit that as communication
between the model and the GIS was primarily via text files that the disk
I/O activity caused huge processing time problems.

Then there has been the approach of using R within GRASS, and given that
R has its own library for individual-based ecological models (via the
simecol library) this may provide a more productive route for developing
agent-based models operating within a GIS environment.  However, I have
the impression that the technology is going through some flux, and
wonder what users consider to be the best approach?

Best wishes
Roy

--
Roy Sanderson
Institute for Research on Environment and Sustainability (IRES)
r.a.sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk
0191 246 4835