[GRASS-user] Agent-based modelling and GRASS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Feb 14 10:16:51 EST 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 2:53 AM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:38:54 +0000
> From: Roy Sanderson <r.a.sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] Agent-based modelling and GRASS
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Hello
>
> Does anyone know the current state of play with agent-based modelling
> and GRASS?  About four years ago there seemed to be considerable
> activity on this front, with for example, Jim Westervelt's work on
> integrating Swarm models into GRASS for cowbird predictions (described
> in R. Gimblett's text on GIS and ABM).  A couple of years ago I
> developed a simple discrete-event model of bumblebee foraging,
> using C++
> and GRASS shell scripts, although I will admit that as communication
> between the model and the GIS was primarily via text files that the
> disk
> I/O activity caused huge processing time problems.
>
> Then there has been the approach of using R within GRASS, and given
> that
> R has its own library for individual-based ecological models (via the
> simecol library) this may provide a more productive route for
> developing
> agent-based models operating within a GIS environment.  However, I
> have
> the impression that the technology is going through some flux, and
> wonder what users consider to be the best approach?
>
> Best wishes
> Roy
>
> --
> Roy Sanderson
> Institute for Research on Environment and Sustainability (IRES)
> Devonshire Building
> Newcastle University
> Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
> r.a.sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk
> 0191 246 4835

Roy,

One of my research projects is coupling a Java-based ABM (DEVSJAVA)
with GRASS quite successfully. Rather than trying to write an ABM in
GRASS, we are using GRASS' scriptability to call it as needed by the
ABM. The ABM manages the agents and their behavior; GRASS manages the
landscape and surface process dynamics. Here is a link to our website
<http://medland.asu.edu>. I'm happy to talk more with you on or off
list. Also, you might want to take a look at the new OpenABM
Consortium site <http://www.openabm.org>. If there is sufficient
interest, I'd be happy to start a forum on ABM and GIS/GRASS there.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University