[GRASS-user] Re: r.sim.water

roberto caselli roberto.caselli at yahoo.it
Mon Feb 18 17:57:05 EST 2008

I tested this script :
 http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/raster/simwe/r.sim.water/spearfish.sh

with GRASS 6.2.2 intalled from ubuntu repository.
In that script I read the follow:

# rainfall [mm/hr]
 rain01=5
but the correct line should be
                                    rain01=0.005

Is it correct?

Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> ha scritto: I already had this question - I assume that this is for GRASS6.2
release.

We forgot to put information about the rainfall excess units into the
manual so the users input rainfall in mm/hr (or something similar) and
they get these huge numbers as a result. I think that is the case also
for spearfish.sh script (it might have been written for newer version
after we have changed the units to mm/hr).
In 6.2 the input for rainfall excess should be in m/s (so you use
numbers like 0.00001 as parameter rain).
We changed this for 6.3 release to mm/hr for everything and the
conversion to m/s is done internally.

So try to input rainfall excess in m/s and you should get reasonable
water depth (usually mm on hilslopes, cm for concentrated flow).

I hope this solves the problem. However - where is that script ?
We should have a 6.2 and 6.3 version that reflects the change in units.

Helena