[GRASS-user] automating map production in Grass

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Feb 21 21:21:42 EST 2008

Alysson Whitlam wrote:

> I am just beginning to work with Grass, although I am fairly experienced
> with ArcGIS, including scripting for map production and geoprocessing
> (Python and VBA). Basically, I am looking to automate map production in
> Grass, using a script (Python or Perl preferably?). (I have to output
> several hundred maps, based on sections of a polygon layer). Since I am just
> beginning to use Grass, I am wondering if anyone could please give me an
> idea if this type of task can be accomplished in Grass.

Others have already suggested ps.map. You can also create PostScript
output using d.* commands with the PS driver, which may be more
flexible. However, a few commands either don't work well with the PS
driver, or require specific options. In particular, d.vect requires
you to use render= option to select something other than "g".