[GRASS-user] How GRASS saves raster cell values?

christian Brandt chrisbrandt74 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 22 05:07:37 EST 2008

I would like to rasterize a vector map with building data (including attribute data) but I am not sure how several buildings (e.g. the building areas) are acknowledged within one cell (value). For example,  there is a  raster resolution of 100x100 m,  so  I  presumably get  about  8-10  buildings  within  one  raster cell.
Now the question is  how does  GRASS  calculate the  cell  values  based  on  the  building  theme's  attribute  <area>.  Does it take the mean value? And does GRASS recognize if one building  extends over more than one cell (and how?).

Regards

Chris