[GRASS-user] gpsbabel and garmin_txt, v.in.garmin, v.in.gpsbabel - with garmin etrex

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 06:06:07 EST 2008

Philipp Steigenberger wrote:
> > v.in.garmin port=/dev/ttyUSB0 -t -p out=vingarmin_gpstrans_tracks
> > GPStrans (ASCII) - Version 0.39
> > Copyright (c) 1995 by Carsten Tschach (tschach at zedat.fu-berlin.de)
> > Linux/KKJ mods by     Janne Sinkkonen <janne at iki.fi> (1996)
> > Copyright (c) 2000 German Grid by Andreas Lange
> > <andreas.lange at rhein-main.de>
> > Copyright (c) 1998,2000 Mayko-mXmap mods by Matthias Kattanek
> > <mattes at ugraf.com>
> > Copyright (c) 2001 Development by Joao Seabra-CT2GNL
> <seabra at ci.AAC.uc.pt>
> > Receiving Tracks...
> > ERROR: Only DDD coordinates currently supported. [DMS]

see the v.in.garmin help page about running 'gpstrans -s' first to set
output as DDD.

I have found that gpstrans can sometimes be buggy (tracks offset by 1
relative to timestamp), so you may prefer another solution if you need
exact timestamps.

> > v.in.garmin port=/dev/ttyUSB0 -t -p -u
> out=vingarmin_gardump_tracks
> > Receiving Tracks...
> > --->  with v.out.ascii I get this format:
> > 4416848.824221|5359764.2067414|25 #id=25

The last attribute is not being split into two columns for some reason.
What model Garmin and what version of gardump do you use?
can you send a few line sample of the result of running gardump from
the command line to the list as an attachment?
do you have an idea what the #id= means?

I am rather too busy right now to spend much time on this, or even to
monitor the mailing list closely, but I hope someone else might be able
to have a look and see the problem. If not, please file a bug report
with as much information and sample data as you can and I'll eventually
get to it. Or jump into the shell script yourself- it's a pile of sed
and awk processing.

Hamish