[GRASS-user] trouble with dbf under WINGRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sat Feb 23 08:10:37 EST 2008

Trying to respond to all your different points (only for wingrass, I
cannot say anything about QGIS).

In general, please be more precise in the description of the issues (e.g.
 don't say "We were not able to use v.to.db to cvalculate areas of
polygons", but give the exact v.to.db command line you use and possibly
the data you tried this on - ideally you should use the spearfish or new
North Caroline demo data sets).

On Mon, February 18, 2008 13:15, Niels Thevs wrote:
> Oh sorry, I meant GRASS 6.3. RC4, dating from Jan 15th 2008. Two more
> thing appeared: r.to.vect did not produce a dbf file.

I cannot reproduce this, so you will have to give more information.

> When I wrote a
> script as txt file with r.mask, there was an error message: r.mask
> command not found. This happened under Q-GIS with the GRASS shell as
> well as in GRASS.

As Hamish has already mentioned r.mask is a shell script and so are
v.db.addcol and v.db.dropcol. So in order to be able to use them you have
to have msys installed and the grass63.bat file configured to reflect this
(see the README).

>>> On 2 out of 20 computers no dbf file was written when we imported
>>> shape files into GRASS.

Again: are all the machines identical (OS ?) Maybe some disk space / quota
problem ?

>>> We were not able to use v.to.db to cvalculate areas of polygons.

As mentioned above, please be more precise on what does not work.

>>> When we intersected vector layers about 4 out of 20 computers did not
>>> wirte a new dbf file for the intersection result.

Which command did you use ? Again, unless the 4 computers are different
from the others, I would rather suspect some problems with disk space or
manipulation errors. Do the same problems always appear on the same
computers ?

Moritz