[GRASS-user] wxpython gui: d.vect.thematic raises error

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Feb 25 20:16:05 EST 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 4:42 PM, G. Allegri wrote:

> Michael, I posted an answer at 5.42 pm...
> I attach it again.
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> You're right Michael. Sorry for not being exhaustive.
> I'm doing test on Kubuntu 7.10
> Grass: 6.3.0 RC5
> wxwidgets: 2.8.4.0
> python: 2.5.1
>
> I create a thematic vector map (from the gui). It's a point layer. I
> ask to use graduated_points on a double type attribute.
>
> Execution failed: 'd.vect.thematic map=topsoil_completo at tesi
> type=point column=Ece themetype=graduated_points themecalc=interval
> size=9 maxsize=25 nint=10 colorscheme=blue-red --q'
>
> GRASS_INFO_ERROR(16631,1): *** You must open a display monitor ***

I've run some tests and can tell you what you need to do to avoid the
error when creating a thematic layer in the GUI Layer Manager.
However, we will probably need to make a custom thematic module
rather than depend on the autogenerated GUI in this case.

You need to go to the Misc tab and check the box "Output legend for
GIS Manager (for scripting use only)".

This should create the thematic map without also generating the xmon
error. However, it will not creating a legend automatically. This
needs to be created through custom programming, as is done with TclTk
GUI.

I think we should wait to create the custom thematic module, however,
until the C version of this is done (currently functional for areas,
but not yet for points or lines). The current version
(d.vect.thematic) is a bash script.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for testing the wxPython GUI>

Michael