[GRASS-user] Re: Grass Compatibility withOpenGL

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 04:51:17 EST 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> hi,
>
> Kunal Malik píÿÿe v Út 26. 02. 2008 v 13:08 +0530:
>>
>> HI,
>> Jachym ..would u tell  me how u came to know this,,have u worked on
>> this,,or read from somewhere ..i want to know it beacause i am working
>> on grass tool,,& i have to integrate it with OpenGl Display..will u
>> eleborate more on this.
>
> I simply know it. Last time, there was discussion about integrating

That's not strictly true. GRASS has a whole library of code for reading
GRASS datasets and visualizing them using OpenGL - see lib/ogsf in the
sourcecode, especially the README file which summarises things. This code
is currently used by NVIZ. I've said in the past I would like to try and
write some command-line modules that interface to it to enable scriptable
generation of 3-D images, rather than having to use the Tcl/Tk NVIZ GUI,
but as with most things I've never had time to look into it. The code is
very old (15 years - GRASS was simply years ahead of its time when all
this stuff was first implemented) but I don't see why it shouldn't be a
good basis for further work.

Paul