[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-dev] r.out.gdal Gtiff output does not preserve color tables

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Feb 29 00:45:41 EST 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 10:36 PM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:40:36 -0800
> From: Dylan Beaudette <dylan.beaudette at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-dev] r.out.gdal Gtiff output does
> 	not	preserve color tables
> To: Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>
> Cc: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> On Thursday 28 February 2008, Hamish wrote:
>> Dylan Beaudette wrote:
>>> - r.out.gdal never worked for me (or rather the resulting file would
>>> not open in ArcMap)
>>
>> did you try adding  INTERLEAVE=PIXEL  and *not* using LZW compression
>> for createopt=?
>>

>> From the help r.out.gdal page:
>> {{{
>> NOTES
>>
>> When writing out GeoTIFF format for users of ESRI software or
>> ImageMagick, the band interleaving should be switched to pixel
>> interleaving using createopt="INTERLEAVE=PIXEL".
>>
>> To specify multiple options use a comma separated list
>> (createopt="TFW=YES,COMPRESS=DEFLATE").
>> }}}
>>

>> Hamish
>>

> Yep-- I have tried both of those options. I either get a file which
> will not
> open (mysterious ESRI error), or the file's data range is reported
> as some
> huge negative number <--> to some huge positive number, something like
> 3x10^25 . I will check on the exact value and report back.

We've also had this problem. We are using geotiffs as a standard
raster format for archiving. So this is a real pain.

However, FWIW, we've also experienced the same problem that Dylan
reports above in geotiffs produced by ArcGIS--a bunch of huge,
meaningless numbers in the data.

So if we can fix this, we're one up on the commercial competition.

Michael